Lit by Humanity is a Voluntary Organisation founded by Ms. Bindu Puste, an Assistant Professor of English, who has been personally working for visually impaired students since 2015. In November 2019 she came across two other like-minded people, Mr. Gupta and Ms. Srujana Vallapu, who are working for the same cause. All three joined hands to take forward their life’s mission. They decided to dive deep into social service, hence they formed this Volunteer Organization, and to represent their cause, the name Lit by Humanity (LBH) was chosen.
Lit by Humanity provides free service for visually challenged students and other needy across the country.
LBH helps them by providing
- Scribes for writing exams
- Audio recording of textbooks, newspapers, current affairs magazines, notes, assignments, guides, question papers and so on.
- Everyday audio recordings of newspapers such as “The Hindu” in English and Kannada, “The Indian Express” and Telugu Newspapers – Eenadu and Sakshi
- Helps in writing/ typing assignments as a part of their curriculum.
- Conducting Online Sessions – Many students are interested in learning varied concepts but are restricted due to a lack of resources. LBH creates a platform for students to connect with various experts and make them learn new concepts. The topics are based on UPSC, soft skills, cybersecurity awareness, Spoken English, and many more
- Conducting Skill Enhancement sessions to create awareness about visually impaired persons and their needs and striving to contribute to making their lives better, LBH has conducted more than 80 sessions where IAS officers, Radio Jockeys, Nutritionists, and Research Scholars have led the sessions
- Painting for a Cause – An initiative where many talented artists donate their art (Paintings, Sketches, etc.), which we gift to various sponsors as a token of appreciation.
- Facilitating and fulfilling blood requirements – Patients are dying every minute due to a lack of blood. Many donors, though willing to donate, are not able to do so due to a lack of valid and timely information. Via this initiative, we are trying to bridge the gap between Donors and patients by connecting them on time so that no person dies due to lack of blood, currently fulfilled 121+ requirements so far.
- Creating awareness on sign language – Teaching basics of sign language for free to volunteers is the objective of this initiative, conducted 30+ sign language sessions so far.
- Visual Assistance – Escorting students to hospitals and other places.
- Supplying medicines and other essential commodities.
- Visual Readers / Translators
- Protection and rescue of animals
- Fulfilling groceries requirements- Fulfilled 20+ requirements
- Gadgets for a cause – fulfilled more than 5 requirements
- Conducted more than 60 UPSC Classes
Some of the projects that LBH has completed so far are:
- Transcription of Economics videos for students preparing for Ph.D
- Audio recordings of more than 225 stories for all age groups
- Recording of books and materials of NCERT, UPSC, LAWCET, Business Statistics, intermediate CEC books, Vision lAS material, Current Affairs, B.Ed, M.A (Telugu) material, and so on.
- Fulfilled more than 300+ scribe requirements within 3 months
- Conducted 170+ online sessions for visually impaired and for lower socio-economic backward students
Our goal is to help the needy and to reach all the visually impaired students across the country. Today we have a 12-member strong core team with 2500+ Volunteers contributing from over 13 countries. After the lockdown restrictions of the current pandemic are lifted, we intend to register LBH as a society and want to become the torchbearers to generations, bereft of the gift of sight and sound but blessed with stars in their eyes and dreams in their hearts.